Rainbows sure are magical. Whenever one shows up in the sky there’s sure to be ohhh’s and ahhhh’s. Bring that feeling to your party with this super cute and easy rainbow DIY!
Easily customizable to any size and colors, everyone will love looking at this rainbow decoration sitting on the table. After the party is over, it can fit perfectly in your kids bedroom or anywhere else in your house!
Made with some simple poly sprinkler tubing from a hardware store and some craft paint, this DIY is bound to be a hit!
Unicorn Rainbow DIY
1/2” Poly Tubing (made for sprinkler systems) from the hardware store
Craft paint (I used Fire Coral, Cameo Blush, Pastel Rose and White)
White board for base – I used a PVC board – 1 x 4 x 6
White spray paint
Drill with a 11/16” drill bit
Craft paint brush
The finished sized of this DIY is 30” wide by about 13” tall but it can easily be customized for any size.
Prep the Base
1. Cut your base down to 30” long so your final dimensions will be 30” long x 3.5” wide by .75” thick.
2. Next we are going to mark where we are going to drill the holes so the tubing can go into the base. You’ll make your first mark at 1” and then every 1.25” for a total of seven dots on each side. See below for a diagram.
3. Using your 11/16” drill bit, drill a hole for each dot.
Lightly sand any bits that might need sanded. The base is now finished!
Prep the Tubing
4. First step is to cut all of our tubing now. You’ll need a total of seven pieces of tubing.
See the diagram below for the dimensions of each tube. Each piece is 4” shorter than the last one.
The easiest way to cut the tubing is to mark 43” and using a hacksaw carefully cut through the tubing. Set that piece aside and then mark 39” and cut that down and so on until you have all seven pieces cut.
Paint all the Tubing
5. Our next step is to paint all of the tubing.
We’re going to spray paint all of the tubing white. This will make it much easier to cover each tube with the craft paint and will give it a good base since the tubing is so slick. It doesn’t need to be perfect since we will cover it up.
6. Once the white spray paint has dried, it’s time to paint each tube with our craft paint!
Here is the paint I used. The colors I used are Fire Coral, Cameo Blush, Pastel Rose and White.
Based on the diagram below, paint each tube according to the corresponding color.
You may need two or three coats of paint to fully cover each tube. Let it all dry overnight.
Assemble the Rainbow
7. Take your tubing and push each end into the holes in your base. Start with the smallest first and work your way to the largest until all seven have been added and it looks like a rainbow.
Done! Now it’s ready for your party!
I hope you enjoyed this DIY! If you create this DIY, please share it on social media! Tag us using @helloinvites and the hashtag #helloinvitesparties so we can see them!
Have a great party!